In a move that should be unsurprising to most, I put my foot in my mouth. Read On…
Dreadtober has us building one dreadnought (and variants) in thirty one days. It’s no twenty days down and eleven left to go.
So far I’ve made more progress on the Helbrute in six episodes that I’ve made in six months!
Previously, my Dreadtober efforts got to this point:
The arms are removable and STILL need to be painted. The red is finished, barring touch up efforts. The recipe for the armour was pretty simple. I tried to choose colours that were fairly easy to match for the purposes of highlighting and shading.
From right to left, base coat of Mecharite Red, Evil Sunz Scarlett, Wild Rider Red. Missing, presumed in use is Agrax Earthshade. Episode Three has a better breakdown of the process.
Now I just need to start on the bone exoskeleton.
From right to left, base coat of Rhinox Hide, Snakebite Leather, Bleached Bone and Ceramite White.
And the fun starts.
Above is the result of the first two layers of highlight. Initially, a 1:1 mix of Snakebite Leather and Rhinox Hide is applied to cover most of the original base coat. The Rhinox Hide should only REALLY be visible in the depths. After that is dry, a 2:1 mix of Snakebite Leather and Rhinox Hide is applied semi roughly more on the edges and towards the centre of armour plates. I’m deliberately trying to keep this relatively rough as, much like real life, the bone colour will be a little inconsistent and mottled.
In episode seven (hopefully tonight), I’ll continue highlighting the bone area, probably starting with just Snakebite Leather and then moving up to Snakebite Leather and Bleached Bone with final highlights of Bleached Bone and Ceramite White.
Keep in mind, I’m trying to end up with the final product looking like this:
For those paying attention, the arms still aren’t under-coated and there’s only eleven days to go. Oh, and the base isn’t done either!
Oh. While you’re here, go rag on Jeff for being disgustingly talented. I’m not jealous, much.
Dreadtober rumbles on. And, as you can see, I’m combining episodes four and five.
I’m still working on the carapace armour and leg armour. I’m nervous about starting the exoskeleton and painting it up like that one foot. Having looked at the amount of brown that’s on the model, there’s a bit of work to complete it all. The contrast of bone and red I think won’t be stark enough to make the model stand out. However, I’m committed to the idea and if nothing else, I’m stubborn!
The red carapace armour is painted using the recipe from Episode Three. For the armour and head I added more layers of the Mechrite Red/Evil Sunz Scarlet/Wild Rider Red mix to help make the transitions between colours smoother.
After Episode Five, I’m calling the red “done”. At one point I thought it looked more Word Bearer than Khorne, but I am happy with the final colour. Next up it’s working on the bone colour for the exoskeleton.
Now we come to the warning part of our series. This one is a rookie trick for new players. Don’t skimp on the undercoat! I found some dime-store undercoat that I thought would be okay. A combination of weather and its general cheap-ass-ery lead to a powdery finish that I have had to fight against.
AND there’s this
Some of the base coat, in this case the brown, has started to rub off. I’m not too rough with my models, so this came as a bit of a shock! About the only good thing I can take away would be using the rubbed off areas as the basis for extreme highlighting as I continue to paint.
At the end of Episode Five, my assembled Dreadtober pledge looks like this.
With sixteen days left in the month, I have to paint the arms from scratch, finish the bone areas and do some detailing. I’m getting a bit worried.
On a side note, you’ll notice that there’s lots of video of me painting. Originally, the video was done on Google Hangouts and, more recently, on Blab.
I’m doing it for the views! 🙂 It’s also a way for me to keep track of how long it takes for me to paint. Time is in short supply and, as an exercise, it’s interesting to see how I make use of it when it is available. For those keeping a running tally, we’re at about two hundred and seventy minutes. That’s about four and a half hours. To get the red bits done.
I may well be the world’s slowest painter.
Dread on, my friends, Dread on!
At the end of Dreadtober – Episode Two, the Helbrute looked like this:
Episode three is a quick one. It’s the mid-season break. It’s very short.
Time is short and so in the twenty or thirty minutes that I had to paint last night, I made sure I had my palette of colours sorted out. Above, you can see the paints that I am using for the carapace armour. The base coat is Mechrite Red. Next stage is a 50/50 mix of Mechrite Red and Evil Sunz Scarlet. This is applied along the edges and then feathered back into the base coat.
Feathering (if that’s the right term) is where you get a clean, moist brush and lightly move some of the highlight colour from the edge of the highlighted area towards the centre of the armour. It helps to blend the highlight colour back into the base coat and helps to create a more even transition between the colous.
Once that highlight is dry, I applied a second highlight to the edges. This time it was pure Evil Sunz Scarlet.
The third highlight was applied to just the corners or extreme highlights using Wild Rider Red.
At the end of Dreadtober Episode Three, my Helbrute is starting to look like I’ve done something to it. It was only (at most) thirty minutes work, but I have sorted out the colour palette for the carapace armour, or red bits, and also practiced the process of painting. Even small painting sessions can have unexpected benefits. Next time I sit down to paint, I’m ready to got with my palette of colours and techniques already worked out!
DREADTOBER: so hardcore you have to say it in capitals!