Whilst trawling around various forums, I found this brilliant tutorial for painting undead skin. Specifically in this case, it was Belles for a Malifaux crew, but it could equally apply to any undead.
- The skin takes a little while to paint. I start on unliving skin by putting down a coat of Vj Brown Sand (GW Tallarn Flesh will do, but Vallejo works better).
- I then layered down a coat of Vj Brown Violet (GW alternative Dark Green + Snakebite Leather wash).
- Once that is dry I layer up with Vj Brown sand and Vj Light Grey with a little of the Vj Brown Violet mixed in (GW Dwarf Flesh + Codex works).
- I gradually replace the Vj Brown Sand with Vj Flat Flesh and remove the Vj Brown Violet from the mix (GW replace with Elf Flesh + Fortress Grey).
- Wash with GW Thraka Green mixed with GW Gryphonne Sepia.
- Once dry, highlight back up again with the Vj Flat Flesh – Vj Light Grey mix.
- Wash again with GW wash mix.
- Highlight again finishing with a spot highlight of Vj Green Grey (GW Rotting Flesh).
- Finally carefully add thin washes of GW Red Gore mixed with old GW Brown Ink into selected cracks and the eye sockets.
- I then added the eyes in with Vj Pale Sand (GW Bleached Bone) and then a final dot of GW Skull White.
Which turns out something like this:
REF: Ratty on Malifaux forums.